Jordan has really been asking questions about becoming a Christian the past few months. Today she hit me hard. She said three of her friends at school are Christians. She wanted to know more. We talked a little about sin. I mentioned that part of sin is knowing to do something and not doing it - like reading your Bible. She said that she didn't have enough time. I told her that most adults say the same thing but that's what being a Christian is about. You make God a priority. You have to ask yourself which is more important - watching another movie on Netflix or reading God's word and listening to Him. She didn't quite get the listening to God part. She still has a lot of questions.
I have questions too. How do I know when it's the right time? How do I know that she doesn't just want to "become a Christian" so she'll be like her friends or because she thinks it's cool to be baptized and participate in the Lord's Supper? I know. I've been there. I was only six, but I very much remember sitting with my mom on her bed in the cooks' quarters and her asking me if I wanted to do it because all the other kids were. I was at Children's Falls Creek with the "big" kids - 4th through 6th. I remember thinking "yes" in my head but telling her no. I remember walking the aisle thinking, "This is a lie." Then three years later I very distinctly remember feeling all of the conviction and guilt and accepting Christ as my savior at that point.
I guess the answer is that I keep praying too and asking for the Spirit's guidance. If He's calling her, then I better be listening for Him to let me know too!
I have questions too. How do I know when it's the right time? How do I know that she doesn't just want to "become a Christian" so she'll be like her friends or because she thinks it's cool to be baptized and participate in the Lord's Supper? I know. I've been there. I was only six, but I very much remember sitting with my mom on her bed in the cooks' quarters and her asking me if I wanted to do it because all the other kids were. I was at Children's Falls Creek with the "big" kids - 4th through 6th. I remember thinking "yes" in my head but telling her no. I remember walking the aisle thinking, "This is a lie." Then three years later I very distinctly remember feeling all of the conviction and guilt and accepting Christ as my savior at that point.
I guess the answer is that I keep praying too and asking for the Spirit's guidance. If He's calling her, then I better be listening for Him to let me know too!
| This picture wasn't taken today, but on Jan 16. Jordan was singing to her baby doll, Sweetheart. |
Comments
Post a Comment