I start back to classes tomorrow. I have a love/hate relationship with school. I love to learn. I enjoy reading the textbooks and soaking in new information. Good interesting lectures fascinate me and I take lots of notes. I enjoy reflecting on what I've learned and get excited about the possibilities of applying some of new knowledge.
However, I hate the pressure of reading twenty pages in a couple of days of textbook information that takes me an hour to absorb one page. I dislike the busy work of having to make sure I post at least three times each week to the discussion board regardless of whether I have anything of worth to post. I get sick to my stomach studying for the first test before I know how difficult that instructor's tests will be. I get frustrated that so many of the instructors think everybody has Microsoft Office and use Word for everything. Why can't I turn my assignments in with Open Office or even better - with Google docs? I get frustrated when the opening announcement says to print out the syllabus and bring it to the first day of class tomorrow, and yet the syllabus is for last semester. I get annoyed when instructions to assignments are using page numbers referencing a different publication of the book we're using. Or when all of the discussion questions are already posted for the class. We're obviously just another class and not worth spending the time making sure any new material is provided and especially not even checking to make sure the old material still works or is applicable.
Okay, so most of my rants are with the online classes. I start my first regular class next week. We'll meet twice a week for an hour and a half. Will I be able to stay awake that long? I remember falling asleep in some of my history classes. Good grief. Who am I fooling? I fall asleep in church sometimes still. Plus, I read the only syllabus online I could find for the class and it mentions pop quizzes. Oh goody!
There's a lot of busy work in both of the classes and a lot of reading. It doesn't look like they'll be terribly difficult classes, just a lot of work to stay on top of. I told Greg good-bye last night and that I would see him again in May. I read the first few pages of the textbook tonight hoping to get an early start.
Will my classes be fun? I don't know. I worry about the Developmental Psychology course. I think it will be interesting, but it's going to make my brain hurt. Psychology and Biology are probably my worst subjects - and yet they make up two-thirds of my schedule this semester.... They use too many multi-syllable words that I have to think too hard in order to read every sentence. I'm a simple gal. Simple words and down-to-earth sentences are my game.
The other class is Teaching Primary Reading. I think that will be fascinating and I'm hoping to use some of what I learn with the girls. I'm really worried about Hailey. She'll be five in less than two weeks and she still shows no desire to learn her numbers and alphabet. She only knows a handful of them. When I try to work with her on them, she just shuts me out. Jordan tried to help her in the truck yesterday and Hailey told her that learning the alphabet makes her tummy hurt. So this morning during our prayer before school, Jordan prayed that Hailey's tummy wouldn't hurt during school today and she could learn her alphabet. Isn't that great! I pray God answers her prayer and Hailey's sees improvement soon.
However, I hate the pressure of reading twenty pages in a couple of days of textbook information that takes me an hour to absorb one page. I dislike the busy work of having to make sure I post at least three times each week to the discussion board regardless of whether I have anything of worth to post. I get sick to my stomach studying for the first test before I know how difficult that instructor's tests will be. I get frustrated that so many of the instructors think everybody has Microsoft Office and use Word for everything. Why can't I turn my assignments in with Open Office or even better - with Google docs? I get frustrated when the opening announcement says to print out the syllabus and bring it to the first day of class tomorrow, and yet the syllabus is for last semester. I get annoyed when instructions to assignments are using page numbers referencing a different publication of the book we're using. Or when all of the discussion questions are already posted for the class. We're obviously just another class and not worth spending the time making sure any new material is provided and especially not even checking to make sure the old material still works or is applicable.
Okay, so most of my rants are with the online classes. I start my first regular class next week. We'll meet twice a week for an hour and a half. Will I be able to stay awake that long? I remember falling asleep in some of my history classes. Good grief. Who am I fooling? I fall asleep in church sometimes still. Plus, I read the only syllabus online I could find for the class and it mentions pop quizzes. Oh goody!
There's a lot of busy work in both of the classes and a lot of reading. It doesn't look like they'll be terribly difficult classes, just a lot of work to stay on top of. I told Greg good-bye last night and that I would see him again in May. I read the first few pages of the textbook tonight hoping to get an early start.
Will my classes be fun? I don't know. I worry about the Developmental Psychology course. I think it will be interesting, but it's going to make my brain hurt. Psychology and Biology are probably my worst subjects - and yet they make up two-thirds of my schedule this semester.... They use too many multi-syllable words that I have to think too hard in order to read every sentence. I'm a simple gal. Simple words and down-to-earth sentences are my game.
The other class is Teaching Primary Reading. I think that will be fascinating and I'm hoping to use some of what I learn with the girls. I'm really worried about Hailey. She'll be five in less than two weeks and she still shows no desire to learn her numbers and alphabet. She only knows a handful of them. When I try to work with her on them, she just shuts me out. Jordan tried to help her in the truck yesterday and Hailey told her that learning the alphabet makes her tummy hurt. So this morning during our prayer before school, Jordan prayed that Hailey's tummy wouldn't hurt during school today and she could learn her alphabet. Isn't that great! I pray God answers her prayer and Hailey's sees improvement soon.