A radio DJ was talking about his daughter the other day and the story really caught my ear. He said his daughter was not very athletic. They had tried to play soccer and she had absolutely no competition in her at all. The only time she would touch the ball is if it actually hit her. It could roll a foot from her and she would just stand there. He said she is just very quiet and they really didn't think sports were her thing. So when she came to him and asked if she could play basketball and if he would be the coach, he was rather leary of it. Now, just a few weeks into it, he said she has blossomed into this totally different child who runs the length of the court and has even made a few baskets. His point to the story was that we can't stick people into a box of what we think they're capable of. They're capable of so much more.
I was reminded about this when I was home with Jordan a few days ago. Jordan loves to take care of people when they are sick. If someone gets hurt, she runs upstairs and returns with a night-night and a stuffed animal for them. If there is a scrape involved, she returns with a band-aid. Having seen all of this, I had suggested awhile back that she would be a really good nurse. Greg told her she should be a doctor because doctors make more money. I argued for nurse because nurses actually get to interact with the people and they're the ones who really take care of the person.
Anyway, Jordan has been thinking about this. When I had them lay down for a nap on Monday, she had been laying there for a few minutes. Suddenly she turned over and says, "Mommy, how do you learn to be a nurse?" I explained that you go to school and take classes. I mentioned different things she might learn in those classes, including how to put an IV in. She decided she no longer wants to be a nurse. IV's hurt and that's not taking care of people!
So, I will have to stop boxing Jordan into what I think she should be and let her make her own decisions!!
I was reminded about this when I was home with Jordan a few days ago. Jordan loves to take care of people when they are sick. If someone gets hurt, she runs upstairs and returns with a night-night and a stuffed animal for them. If there is a scrape involved, she returns with a band-aid. Having seen all of this, I had suggested awhile back that she would be a really good nurse. Greg told her she should be a doctor because doctors make more money. I argued for nurse because nurses actually get to interact with the people and they're the ones who really take care of the person.
Anyway, Jordan has been thinking about this. When I had them lay down for a nap on Monday, she had been laying there for a few minutes. Suddenly she turned over and says, "Mommy, how do you learn to be a nurse?" I explained that you go to school and take classes. I mentioned different things she might learn in those classes, including how to put an IV in. She decided she no longer wants to be a nurse. IV's hurt and that's not taking care of people!
So, I will have to stop boxing Jordan into what I think she should be and let her make her own decisions!!